While acknowledging that common goals, risk, failure and a safe learning environment are necessary and important aspects of music learning, the members of the instrumental performing ensembles of Quaker Valley High School gain in both musical and personal achievement by continually seeking a greater understanding of music and the lessons learned through music. A love for what we do drives us to expect that every member of the Concert Band and Orchestra will demonstrate that they are responsible, enthusiastic and proactive students who pride themselves on their musicianship, their desire for excellence through self-improvement, and their high levels of involvement and effort.
Prerequisite: Student is a current member of the orchestra program, student currently plays a traditional string orchestra instrument and/or student commits to learning a new instrument within the context of orchestra class and with supplemental lessons.
Objectives: To provide the opportunity for each student to:
1. participate in a music program that reflects the continuing advancements in music/education;
2. sequentially develop the comprehensive cognitive and physical skills requisite for refining ensemble technique and tone in performing music;
3. sequentially develop comprehensive music literacy by refining music reading, listening, and analysis;
4. value music;
5. sequentially develop the affective concepts requisite for refining aesthetic perception and response;
6. foster creativity;
7. provide exposure to our cultural heritage reflecting music history and style in performing;
8. nurture students from childhood through transition into young adulthood by developing his/her sense of self-worth, sense of community, role in understanding and contributing to our culture and aesthetic sensitivity;
9. promote a lifetime association with music as a professional, as an avocation, and/or a discriminating listener/consumer.
Description: Class meets five times per week. Students will be taught proper instrumental and ensemble technique. Emphasis is placed on the development of musicianship through progressive technical studies, the development of tone quality, phrasing, articulation, all major and minor scales, rhythmic patterns, meters, trills, and embellishments, and music reading skills. Emphasis is on age-appropriate musicianship/aesthetic response including rehearsal and concert etiquette, and responsibilities associated with membership in a performing organization. The repertoire for orchestra will consist of traditional and contemporary literature, including transcriptions, marches, and show music. The students will rehearse a large variety of music and prepare selected pieces for performance and adjudication.