Captain and Drum Major audition times for the 2019-20 season are now closed. The materials below will be helpful in preparing for 2020-21 auditions, but are subject to change.
Students who wish to be considered for Drum Major in 2020-21 must inform Mr. Neville and the Band Staff of their intentions by the last day of Band Camp 2019: August 2, 2019.
If you are a Captain, or are interested in becoming a Captain:
1. Read about the qualifications, responsibilities and proficiencies expected of a Captain both in the audition and year-round here: QVMBCaptainInfo
2. Get ready for your interview by reviewing possible interview questions here: Sample Interview Questions
3. Sign up for an audition/interview time outside Mr. Neville’s door when posted in late spring.
4. Candidates for Guard or Percussion captain may be asked to demonstrate further proficiencies specific to their section.
If you are the Drum Major, or are interested in becoming the Drum Major:
1. Read about the basic qualifications, responsibilities and proficiencies expected of a Drum Major both in the audition and year-round here: QVMBDMInfo
2. Study the three basic conducting patterns you will need here: Basic Conducting Patterns Diagrams
3. Get ready for your interview by reviewing possible interview questions here: Sample Interview Questions
4. Inform Mr. Neville and the Band Staff by the end of the week of Band Camp that you would like to be considered for the position. Further information about your interview and conducting audition will be given to you by Mr. Neville after the conclusion of the regular season.
It is suggested that all candidates for Captain and Drum Major seek out help and advice from current student officers. Drum Major candidates are encouraged to schedule lesson time(s) with Mr. Neville for conducting help.