Students in the High School Concert Band may be interested in participating in band music festivals outside of the school day. School-sponsored events include:
- Western Allegheny County Area Band (WACA): A two-day regional festival for band students in grades 9-12. Dates TBD.
- Junior High District Band: A two-day competitive festival for band students in grades 7-9. Dates TBD.
- Honors Band: The most competitive of all the festivals, for advanced band students in grades 9-12. Students who are interested in Honors Band must complete an audition to be selected. Auditions are held on the night of October 5, 2015. Students may secure audition music from their private teacher or through Mr. Neville.
- Senior High District Band (January 27-29, 2016 @ South Fayette High School): A three-day competitive festival for band students in grades 10-12. This is the first step in the senior-high festival system. Students who place well at District Band may advance to:
- Region Band (March 9-11, 2016 @ Valley High School) and then onto:
- Pennsylvania All-State Band (March 30-April 2, 2016 @ Hershey High School)
Students who choose to participate in these festivals must commit to every part of the festival in order to be considered. For example, a student who wishes to participate in Senior High District Band must be available for January 27-29, March 9-11 and March 30-April 2 in the event that they would advance through the competition.
Apart from extra-curricular festivals, private instruction is strongly recommended as a supplemental to what students learn in orchestra class. Please contact Mr. Neville at firstname.lastname@example.org for recommended teachers for your instrument.
Students who are looking for playing opportunities outside of the school day and more regularly than festivals may consider auditioning to join the following groups:
West Hills Symphonic Band: http://www.whsb.org/
North Suburban Symphonic Band: http://www.nssband.org/
Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra: http://www.pittsburghyouthsymphony.org/
Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic Orchestra: http://www.pypo.org/
Pittsburgh Youth Chamber Orchestra: http://www.pyco.info/
Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestras: http://www.trypo.org/index.php
South Hills Junior Orchestra: http://www.shjo.org/home.html
***IMPORTANT***: While each of these ensembles can provide students with meaningful and beneficial playing experiences, each of these ensembles is designed to supplement, not replace, the daily music instruction students receive through their school programs.